|For Immediate Release:
Thursday, April 20, 2017
Road and Bridge Projects Awarded to Benefit SW Georgia
TIFTON – A Georgia Department of Transportation $3.3 million construction contract to widen a busy section of U.S. 280 in Cordele demonstrates how a relatively small investment can have a major impact.
U.S. 280/state Route 90 from Interstate 75 to Midway Road will be widened from two to four lanes. Widening is expected to enhance safety, reduce congestion and improve access to local industries and the Cordele Inland Port. The project was awarded to Reeves Construction Co. of Macon with an expected completion date of Nov. 30, 2018.
The project is one of 32 statewide transportation contracts Georgia DOT awarded in March. Projects that will benefit southwest Georgia include 138 miles of resurfacing totaling $23 million and replacement of a structurally deficient bridge in Worth County. The Evergreen Road bridge over the Ochlockonee River seven miles southeast of Bridgeboro was built in 1955. The $1.5 million project is part of Georgia DOT’s Low Impact Bridge Program that provides expedited delivery for the least complicated bridge replacement projects. Construction will be accelerated due to use of prefabricated elements. Work will be done by Southern Concrete Construction Co. Inc. of Albany and the completion date is Aug. 31, 2018.
Area resurfacing projects awarded are:
- SR 122 in Brooks County and SR 111 in Colquitt, Mitchell and Thomas counties
- SR 234 in Calhoun County, SR 266 in Clay/Randolph counties, SR 309 in Decatur County and SR 45 in Early County
- SR 7 in Echols County from the Florida state line to north of the railroad and on SR 94 from east of Grand Bay Creek Bridge to east of Shae’s Lane
- SR 11 in Echols County from north of SR 94 to the CSX Railroad crossing in Lanier County and on SR 112 in Wilcox County from SR 112 to the Pulaski County Line
- SR 7 Business in Lowndes County from SR 7 to SR 7 and on SR 7 South from SR 7 BU to SR 7 BU
- SR 45 in Miller County from north of SR 1 to the Early County line
- SR 112 in Turner County from SR 107 to SR 90
Be the first to comment