Charlie McCann, Director
Tonya Griffin, Deputy Director
RELEASE #3: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 4:15 p.m.
THE STATE OF GEORGIA IS UNDER A STATE OF EMERGENCY.
DECATUR COUNTY IS UNDER A LOCAL STATE OF EMERGENCY.
Decatur County is under a HURRICANE WARNING. MICHAEL WILL BE CATEGORY 3 HURRICANE WHEN IT REACHES LANDFALL.
THIS IS AN EXTREME WIND THREAT FOR DECATUR COUNTY.
• Sustained (continuous) Tropical Storm force winds up to 73 mph are expected to impact our area
as early as 2:00 a.m. Wednesday morning.
• Sustained Hurricane Force winds over 74 mph, with gusts from 85-110 mph, are expected to
impact our area after noon Wednesday through approximately 11:00 p.m. Wednesday night.
• Tropical Storm Force winds are not expected to be out of our area until after 5:00 a.m.
Stay indoors when the winds start. Flying debris can cause injury and property damage.
• Make sure outdoor furniture, toys, trampolines, and trashcans are tied down.
If you live in a Mobile Home, seek alternative shelter.
• Winds over 50 mph can cause damage to mobile homes.
Prepare for extended periods without electricity. This could last for several days.
Red Cross Shelters have been set up OUT OF THE IMPACT AREA at the following locations:
Macon, Ga: South Bibb Recreation Center
7935 Houston Road, Macon, GA
Columbus, Ga: Shirley B. Winston Center
5025 Steam Mill Road, Columbus, GA 31904
IF ANY CHURCHES, INDIVIDUALS OR GROUPS ARE WILLING TO OPEN A SAFE HAVEN SHELTER, PLEASE CONTACT
DECATUR CO EMA AND WE WILL HELP YOU GET THE WORD OUT.
Decatur Co EMA, Public Information Officer