Georgia’s regular Energy Assistance Program will open on Dec. 1 for homebound and elderly households (all adults in household must be age 65 or over or physically homebound). Households with individuals who have life-threatening medical conditions and who are in danger of imminent cut-off of their heating source may also apply. The program provides financial assistance to low-income households to help defray their home heating costs.
Important information concerning the program:
1. Disabled individuals (unless homebound) will not be eligible to be put on the waiting list in December. They must call in January to be put on the waiting list.
2. The Social Security Administration will no longer provide printouts to verify social security numbers; individuals must apply for a replacement card. An application for LIHEAP cannot be completed without social security cards for all household members. If you have lost cards, please apply for replacement cards as soon as possible at your local social security administration office.
Households participating in the program must meet income criteria and be responsible for the cost of heating their homes. To be eligible, households must have an annual income equal to or less than $21,356 for a one-person household; $27,927 for two persons; $34,498 for three persons; $41,069 for four persons; $47,640 for five persons; $54,211 for six persons; $55,443 for seven persons; $56,675 for eight; and for each additional person add $1,232.
Interested individuals or those who look after the interest of elderly or homebound individuals should call:
- In Decatur County Neighborhood Service Center (NSC) at (229) 246-3119 to place their name on the list.
- In Thomas County Neighborhood Service Center at (229) 228-1162 or (229) 873-0825 to place their name on the list.
- Miller County NSC (229) 758-2848
- Seminole County NSC (229) 524-5494
- Grady County NSC (229) 377-3213
Clients will be assisted on a first come, first served basis. Do not go to Neighborhood Service Center offices, it is required that you call and get your name on the list for an appointment time for an application to be completed.
Please provide a phone number that will be working until the program period ends; we cannot guarantee that changed numbers will be updated on the waiting list.
Applicants must have proof of income for all household members for the last 30 days. This may be a paycheck stub, or a letter granting public assistance, Social Security or unemployment benefits.
Be the first to comment