Three people were shot inside a library on the campus of Florida State University in Tallahassee, Fla., early Thursday morning. One of the victims was initially in critical condition at a Tallahassee hospital, although later on Thursday morning it was reported that that victim’s condition had improved to serious but stable.
At approximately 12:30 am on November 20, the Florida State University Police Department received a call about an armed subject at Strozier Library. As the officers were on their way to the call, they received word that one person was shot by the gunman. The initial reports indicate that as the officers arrived at the Library, they located the gunman near the entrance. He was challenged by the officers and given commands to drop his weapon, but the male fired at the officers. The officers returned fire, killing the gunman.
Although classes were cancelled for Thursday, many FSU students held a prayer vigil for those injured by the shooting on Landis Green on the FSU campus early Thursday morning.
As local law enforcement responded to the scene, they located 3 victims suffering from gunshot wounds. All were immediately given medical treatment on scene, and two were transported to local hospitals. FSU Police department requested the Tallahassee Police Department’s assistance with the case, and Investigators from TPD’s Violent Crimes Unit and Forensic Technicians came to the scene and are currently interviewing all identified witnesses and processing evidence.
TPD is asking anyone with information about this case to please call (850) 891-4200 or Crime Stoppers at (850) 574-TIPS. All information given is anonymous and you could be eligible for a cash reward.
The Tallahassee Police Department released the following details at a news conference at 6 a.m. Thursday morning:
- The victims of the shooting were students. Their families have been notified.
- A total of five officers have been placed on administrative leave as is standard procedure for officer involved shootings. This includes both FSUPD and TPD officers.
- The identity of the male shooter cannot be released at this time.
- Classes have been cancelled for today, Nov. 20, 2014.
- Several hundred students were at Strozier Library when the incident occurred. TPD is asking anyone with information about this case to please call (850) 891-4200 or Crime Stoppers at (850) 574-TIPS. All information given is anonymous, and you could be eligible for a cash reward.
- Counsellors and victims advocates are available for the entire FSU community at the Askew Student Life Center.
- There are no known additional threats at this time, FSUPD has increased the presence of uniformed officers on campus.
- The FSU community can get updates at alerts.fsu.edu.
— 26 Straight (@bradleySFR) November 20, 2014