Calhoun Street in Bainbridge closed off Wednesday PM as city works to fix gas leak




Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge

Bainbridge Public Safety officers and City of Bainbridge Gas Department employees are on the scene of a reported gas leak near the intersection of Calhoun Street and Independent Street in Bainbridge.

The gas leak was reported at about 1 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 8, in a natural gas supply line outside of the Stone’s Hardware corporate offices, BPS Major Doyle Welch said.

Because of the potential danger of a natural gas explosion, BPS has blocked off access to two blocks of Calhoun Street in front of Stones’s offices and Bainbridge store.

14127898749140

Bainbridge Gas Department employees are using heavy equipment and a shovel to get to the gas line under the pavement. BPS Director Eric Miller said officers are standing by, ready to spray water from hoses, just in case the repair process caused a spark that led to an explosion.

“We are ready to protect the men working to fix the gas leak, first of all, then to protect the building if necessary,” BPS Director Miller said.

Vehicles like this truck hauling cotton bales, are having to be turned away from a stretch of about two blocks on Calhoun Street after a gas leak was reported
Vehicles like this truck hauling cotton bales, are having to be turned away from a stretch of about two blocks on Calhoun Street after a gas leak was reported
Bainbridge Public Safety Director Eric Miller, right, helps an officer with his turnout gear. Four officers, in teams of two, took turns manning the fire hose next to where Gas Department workers were working to repair a leaking natural gas line. The officers took turns for shifts of about 20 minutes each, as the temperature of about 86 degrees made it hard to work for very long in the heavy fire protection gear.
Bainbridge Public Safety Director Eric Miller, right, helps an officer with his turnout gear. Four officers, in teams of two, took turns manning the fire hose next to where Gas Department workers were working to repair a leaking natural gas line. The officers took turns for shifts of about 20 minutes each, as the temperature of about 86 degrees made it hard to work for very long in the heavy fire protection gear.



Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*