Deanna Shirey, a 70 year old resident of Thomasville was reported missing by her family on Monday, July 2 after they weren’t able to get in touch with her that day. Since then, a lot has happened. A family was held hostage in Ochlocknee. A multi-agency manhunt paralyzed a community for several days. A suspect was arrested and appeared before a judge. But Deanna Shirey is still missing. Below is a timeline of events based on news stories from around the region. Today, the GBI is asking for the public’s help.
- On Monday, July 2, the family of Mrs. Shirey contacted the Thomasville Police Department and requested a welfare check be conducted. WALB reported that the woman was missing and her car was located in Tallahassee.
- While authorities were searching, the family released a statement asking for the public’s help.
THE HOSTAGE SITUATION AND POTENTIAL SUSPECT
- On Friday night, a family was tied up and held hostage in Ochlocknee. When police arrived, the man responsible fled out the back door and escaped law enforcement. The Moultrie Observer reported that the suspect was also responsible for the theft of a Toyota truck from another Thomasville residence the night before.
- After eluding law enforcement in Ochlocknee on Friday night, the suspect, Robert Carter II, fled into the Thomas County woods where he led law enforcement on a multi-agency, multi-day manhunt. He was eventually located in the Ochlocknee river, underneath a bridge on Highway 188.
- Robert Carter appeared in court on Monday and Tuesday and faces 22 charges, including kidnapping, aggravated assault and more. He was denied bond.
WHERE IS DEANNA SHIREY? AUTHORITIES ARE STILL LOOKING
- On Tuesday, the GBI updated the public on the missing persons investigation of Deanna Shirey, posting pictures of several items of interest and requesting the public’s help. They also specifically mentioned the area between Thomasville and Tallahassee as a specific area to be searched, although the entire Thomas County area is still a possibility.
- On Wednesday, the GBI issued a press release that includes pictures of a comforter, Deanna Shirey’s car, and Carter’s truck and once again requested the public’s help searching property and surveillance sources.
UPDATE: 7/13/18: DEANNA SHIREY’S REMAINS LOCATED
PHOTOS RELEASED BY THE GBI