Here’s your southwest Georgia area news roundup for Wednesday, March 8, 2017:
- BAINBRIDGE, GA (POST SEARCHLIGHT) – On Friday, the Georgia House of Representatives passed HB 273 by a vote of 147-17. The bill, which was authored by Democratic representative Demetrius Douglas of Stockbridge, would require schools in Georgia to “schedule recess for all students in kindergarten and grades one through five every school day.”
- ATLANTA, GA (POST SEARCHLIGHT) – The Georgia House of Representatives overwhelmingly passed a bill last Wednesday that will change the structure of income tax in the state.
- COOK CO., GA (WALB) – “The hospital is the heart and soul of this town,” said Cook County resident Michelle Sedam.
- HINESVILLE, GA (VALDOSTA TODAY) – Police in southeast Georgia are investigating after two soldiers were found dead in an apartment outside Fort Stewart.
- DOTHAN, AL (DOTHAN EAGLE) – The Dothan Police Department has been approved to purchase 135 officer body cameras, which will help provide more evidence in arrest cases and more information in cases when a complaint is filed against an officer.
- FORT VALLEY, GA (MACON TELEGRAPH) – A Byron man charged with the fatal shooting of two Peach County deputies was in court Tuesday for the first time since the district attorney filed notice to seek the death penalty.
- NEWS: BPS Giving Away Free Smoke Detectors, Colquitt County Inmate Escapes (is Captured), Arrest Reports and More
- NEWS: Bainbridge Bypass Southbound Lane Closed, DCSO Busts Motorcycle Thief, Arrest Reports and More
- NEWS: Carnival Ride Injures 6, Lowndes Deputies Make Meth Bust, Mother Locks Twins in Bedroom, Gets Arrested and More
- NEWS: 14 Arrested After Albany Shooting, Thomasville PD Seeking Public’s Help, Arrest Reports and More